Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Tiz-en-shun

I was a cheerleader in high school. yeah, yeah. Ok, are you done snickering? May I go on now? I was on my high school squad and a competitive squad (think ESPN cheerleading). Between the two squads I had practice almost every day either throwing people in the air or being thrown, falling or being fallen on, dancing or flipping across the floor--five to seven days a week. Needless to say, I was in shape (especially when I had to ride my bike to and from practice- 30 minutes each way) but I was also incredibly sore. I would have never dreamed of getting a deep tissue massage because tension seized my shoulders and back to the point of pain on contact.

The closest I came to a massage was having our jet black cocker spaniel puppy, Cinders, run across my back. Of late, I have been suffering from incredible tension in my shoulders and back again. I have tried soothing body scrubs*, calming teas and all sorts of stretches. Therefore I have come to a very important conclusion: I either need a cocker spaniel pup or a good massage. I think in the long run (considering cost of food, vaccinations and inevitable replacement of gnawed shoes and furniture), $60 on a good massage may not be that expensive after all.

*note to self: vanilla orange brown sugar body scrub is revitalizing, relaxing and leaves skin silky smooth with a delectable aroma of cookies on a tropical island. However, also attracts ants-- spray shower after use.