Monday, April 12, 2004

Love Songs

I just got Andy Davis' album "Thinks of Her" in the mail the other day. This aptly titled disc contains approximately 35 minutes of love-induced or lovelorn songs. Instead of having most of the songs be about relationships with a few obligatory songs not about relationships, this disc is intentionally devoted to songs about relationships-- about what Davis is thinking as he "Thinks of Her."

I'm not very good at writing love songs. There's "Fools." Well ok, that's about a couple who will never get together because they don't communicate. Then there's "Far Away Home." Oh, that's about a marriage gone sour and cold. "Pedestal" is about expecting too much of another person. And then there's "Should've Known Better"-- the title speaks for itself. See, I told you I wasn't very good at writing love songs. I don't think I've had the right muse as of yet.

There were two loves songs that I wrote last year. They were for my friends' wedding. Which was actually one year ago today! Yes, I've called to wish them a Happy Anniversary already. They were a good source of inspiration. The thing about Andy's love songs... they're about her. He's thinking about her, whomever "her" may be. I think about myself too much to write about him, whomever "he" will be.

Here are some examples of attempts from my documents:

"God I wish I knew what love was. I wish I could put it in a song. But the hollowness would hide all I had to offer, all that I could write. All my words are lost now. My pallet has run dry. Wish I could write a love song. Wish I had the chance to try.

I thought I knew what love was once. Thought I could explain. Now I can't remember that far back. Don't know what to say.

And my mother's always wondering where her girls went wrong. I told her that it just takes time. What if she's the one that's right.

What if I was never meant to have you? Whomever you might be. What if everyone is meant to fall in love? Everyone but me.

And yet, I'm young. I've got a life to live, free from strings and obligations, free from jealousy and questions, free from love in all progressions..."



Old Red Shirt

You wear me like your old red shirt, Brand new in seventh grade
Fit you like a tent back then, fits like a glove today

Chorus:
You wear me like your old red shirt
You wear me like your old red shirt
Darling, you wear me like your old red shirt
A second skin of faded comfort

You wear me like your old red shirt, Its ringer collar frayed
Peeled off the label years ago, Said you like it better plain

Chorus
Bridge:
There are patches growing threadbare
And the seams are showing through
What others call beyond repair
Fits perfectly to you

Chorus Modified:
You wear me like your old red shirt
You wear me like your old red shirt
Darling, you wear me like your old red shirt
A second skin...

End
You wear me like your old red shirt, Broken in through time
You wear me like your old red shirt
And I wear you like mine