Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Promised Quotes
from Fat and Happy by Wendy Shanker as featured in Self Magazine

"I'm not a doctor. I'm not a therapist. I don't have a degree in health education. I'm just a professional ex-dieter with a chip on my shoulder and a mission on my mind. There are too many women just like me who know more information about fat grams than about foreign policy, who spend more time counting calories than communicating with friends. And that ain't right."

"Technically, because I am fat, I look fat in everything."

"The body image anxiety we put ourselves through is mostly wasted time, wasted energy and, finally, wasted life."

"Here's the challenge: Think about how much time you've spent pondering your extra poundage and punishing yourself for what you've put in your mouth. Now imagine not doing that. Imagine if we all did it. The fat girls and the skinny chicks. The movie stars and the PR agents, the soccer moms and the CEOs. Imagine all that free time not going toward ripping ourselves to shreds. All that money that we're not going to spend on fat-free, sugar-free, taste-free sorbet. [Personal interjection: I like sorbet~melissa] That's a lot of minutes and money from a lot of women with a lot of brainpower. Use that energy to admire achievements more than muscles, to weigh options, not bodies."

"So, basically The Man's trying to bring us down by making us focus on weight instead of taking over the world like we should."

"If I had a choice between regular heaven and pie heaven, I'd choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not... mmmmm boy!"

~ok, ok. she didn't say the last two quotes. but it would have been awesome if she had.

ah well, go here, it's more entertaining than I am.