Friday, February 27, 2004

News

This just in (ok, it was in yesterday, but I didn't really feel like posting it right then):

Dear Ms. Reinke:

This communication is in response to your application for admission to graduate study in the Comparative Literature program at Vanderbilt University. Based on the recommendation of its faculty, we regret to inform you that Vanderbilt is unable to offer you admission to this program. If you have applied to more than one Vanderbilt program, you will receive a separate communication regarding your application to each program.


We experienced a significant increase in the number of graduate applications this year; thus, we are faced with the unpleasant task of turning down a number of well-qualified applicants.


We wish you well in your endeavors. Again, thank you for your interest in Vanderbilt University.

  • Ok, before you rush to the comments to console me--don't worry about it. It's a good thing. I don't think the program and I were meant for each other anyway and was probably going to turn down an offer, if extended. Not that it doesn't smart to have someone send you this kind of letter (especially when you've written them yourself and you *totally* know the thought process behind writing them) but perhaps my ego needed a little deflation. So, no "I'm sorry"s, k? If you do, I'll ban your IP :-)



  • In Other News

    I have decided from now on when people ask me what I do for a living I'm simply going to reply: "I collate." That's it. Nothing else. That's really all they need to know, anyway. That's the gist.