Monday, February 14, 2005

Pick a Side

Happy Valentine's Day, one of the most divisive days on the calendar since Election Day--and at least that only happens every four years. There are people who like Valentine's Day and people who hate it. There are people who love it so much they decided to do it again in October and call it "Sweetest Day." Valentine's Day is going to happen whether I want it to or not, therefore I think it rather annoying to buck against it. I mean, I like Halloween even though I'm not a vampire, werewolf or ghoul. (perhaps I should say, even though I'm a Christian and it's supposed to stand for evil. whatever)

Yes, I believe that it's just another commercial holiday-- a ploy to capitalize on a sugar rush in the lull between Christmas and Easter candy. Not for me, though, since I take forever to eat it, I still have Christmas candy. As a matter of fact, it's a running joke in my family that I would have Halloween candy until Christmas and Christmas candy until Easter and then who knows how long I would have the Easter candy. So, I'm still good on candy.

What I could use more of, however, is love. Don't get me wrong, I have loving family and friends and a loving God. I just think everyone can always use a bit more love. So, lets try to remember to love each other after the sugar rush (or bitter taste for those anit-v-day readers) wears off, ok?